Laser tattoo removal is a common cosmetic procedure that involves using specialized lasers to break down the pigment in tattoo ink, which allows the body to naturally remove the ink over time. While it is a safe and effective procedure, preparing for your laser tattoo removal appointment is important to ensure the best possible outcome. Here are some tips on how to prepare for your laser tattoo removal appointment:
1. Research your provider: Before booking your appointment, it is important to research the provider and clinic that will be performing the procedure. Look for a provider who is owner/operator and experienced in laser tattoo removal. Seek out before and after pictures on similar skin and pigment color. Make sure the laser being used is FDA approved medical class equipment.
2. Avoid sun exposure: Sun exposure can cause the skin to become more sensitive, which can make the laser tattoo removal procedure more uncomfortable. Be sure to avoid sun exposure for at least two weeks prior to your appointment, and use sunscreen if you need to be outside.
3. Avoid tanning products: Self-tanning products, tanning beds, and spray tans should be avoided for at least two weeks before your appointment. These products can make the skin more sensitive and increase the risk of skin irritation during the procedure.
4. Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water before your appointment can help to keep your skin hydrated, which can make the procedure more comfortable and reduce the risk of side effects.
5. Dress comfortably: Wear comfortable clothing that allows easy access to the tattoo that will be removed. Avoid tight or restrictive clothing that can rub against the skin.
6. Avoid treatment while sick or on antibiotics: The pigment removal process utilizes the resources from your lymphatic system. If you are ill or recovering, you’ll want to allow your body to use all of the available resources for a more speedy recovery.
7. Communicate with your provider: Be sure to communicate with your provider about any medical conditions or medications that you are taking or if you are or plan on getting pregnant. This information can help to ensure that the procedure is safe and effective.
By following these tips, you can help to ensure that your laser tattoo removal appointment is as safe and effective as possible. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to speak with your provider prior to your appointment.